Monday 14 May 2012

Concert Review: Owl City / Cobra Starship


Owl City and Cobra Starship live at the Auckland Town Hall March 2010

When my friend texted me and said he had a spare ticket to this concert, I hesitated for only a moment. Owl City were trending at the time and Cobra Starship were being danced to at every party, mostly thanks to the inclusion of Leighton Meester in one of their songs.

At this concert, we were seated along the side of the Town Hall. If you’ve ever been there, you’ll know it’s quite small but packs a lot of noise. I was quite glad I wasn’t in the mosh down below – the teenagers were going mad!

Owl City and supporting band came on and were a hit from the beginning. I’m quite a fan of Owl City and the slow, sweet sounds he makes. Chart topping hits from 2009 and 2010 were played, including Fireflies and Vanilla Twilight, which are songs which make you feel good when they listened to on the radio, and make you ten times happier when they are heard live.

Cobra Starship upped the anticipation with their more upbeat and dancy tracks. I was pleased to see all their music was being played live and not pre-recorded or DJ’d from one person behind the singers. They got the mosh pit going, but while I was not jumping out of my seat at the top, I was foot tapping and head nodding along to the beats. They let themselves down by leaving their two hits, Hot Fuzz and Good Girls Go Bad both for their encore. These two were the best two songs they ever released and the best songs of the night. I wish they had put Hot Fuzz on earlier during the set to create more of a buzz. Also, it was always going to happen, but Good Girls Go Bad just wasn’t right without the additional Meester vocals (her part was covered by a female band member).

Overall, I was impressed by these guys. I wasn’t blown away, but then again, their music doesn’t blow you away. It is nice, cool music and they had a live performance to match it. Good vocals, good instrumentals and a good crowd sold the night for me.

And, as a side note, Auckland Town Hall also sold me as a venue to host live shows. I haven’t made it back to a show there yet, but I aim to as soon as someone cool comes to play there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment