Sunday 15 April 2012

Concert Review: Basshunter 2009

Over the past few years I have attended many concerts and loved hearing all the live music, and now I want to put up some kind of review of them all. I’m kicking things off by travelling back to 2009.

Basshunter live at Telstra Clear Events Centre, September 2009

After only seeing the likes of Kingston, Elemeno P and 48 May at various camps and school concerts, I was pumped to finally heading to a ‘real concert’. Despite the above acts being wicked cool to see live, the thought of a ‘real concert’ was so exciting. A group of school mates got together to go see the Swedish sensation and were all buzzing about how awesome he would be live.

Having high expectations, I was bitterly let down by the opening two acts. To this day, my worse opening act was at my first ever real concert: Smashproof. I am a huge fan of Kiwi music, especially when they open for international acts, but Smashproof were just bad. They played pre-recorded backing tracks through their loud speakers, which resulted in the singing being both out of time and a lot quieter than the pre-recorded tracks. This is also the only time I have ever walked out of a live performance, faking a bathroom visit just to not watch the stage. I poked my head back in when I thought Gin Wigmore had made an appearance for Brother, but no, it was more overly loud, pre-recorded tracks which did not sit well with me. And so, my first real concert had got off to a rather bad start.

The second band on were 3OH!3. What a band name. To be fair, these guys are pretty decent, but with New Zealand only having heard about two songs, one which featured Katy Perry and was obviously not in New Zealand with them, they just couldn’t get the crowd going. They played on for half an hour or so, not really failing but not succeeding either.

Basshunter, or Jonas Erik Altberg as he was born, kicked off the show with Angel in the Night, one of my favourite songs. He was on stage dancing and jumping around from the beginning, with six hot tanned ladies behind him. Over the show, these women became less dressed, which pleased the males in my group. All I Ever Wanted and I Can Walk on Water were full of energy and the crowd got going without much convincing, which was great to see after the little movement with the opening acts. I was stoked when he performed Boten Anna and Dota, both of which are in broken Swedish. Basshunter could sing, dance, crack a few jokes and profess his love for New Zealand, which included sending a video message to his mum about how great a time he was having in our country. He rounded of the night with an encore of Now You’re Gone, his chart topping smash hit which young people had on repeat for months leading up to the show.

This concert was a few years ago, and I have no trouble saying the ones I’ve been to since out rate this show by a mile. But it was a nice way to kick off my concert experiences. Even though I had to put up with some silly girls pushing their way to the front (turns out this is a common thing at all concerts), I had a great night with my mates. Basshunter gave a great show and gave me concert fever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment