Monday 30 April 2012

Concert Review: Nickelback 2009


Nickelback live at Vector Arena, November 2009

For my 2009 birthday a very good friend of mine got me a ticket to Nickelback’s show, who were on the Dark Horse worldwide tour. I was super excited and had to wait four long months between when I got the ticket and when I could actually see the band live. This was it; I was going to a rock concert!

These Four Walls opened and were pretty decent from what I recall, though I didn’t have any desire to rush out and buy their album. I think the buzz of being in Vector Arena meant I didn’t actually concentrate on the band and I didn’t take in any of their music. Sick Puppies, an Australian band, came on second and were much more successful at getting the crowd warmed up, with some cool rock tunes and a well gelled band. I obtained a few of their tracks after the show and still enjoy listening to them. Overall, the two opening acts well surpassed the opening acts at Basshunter.

Nickelback burst onto the stage with Something In Your Mouth, complete with red flame shooters. Okay, so Nickelback get a lot of criticism for their songs, look, sound and overall presence in the music industry, but they sure can rock live. Something In Your Mouth wasted no time in getting the crowd going and, despite some haters on Chad Kroeger’s voice, the guy can sing live. I was stoked when Nickelback did a throwback to their old days with Because of You. This wouldn’t be the last time they did this, with Too Bad, Figured You Out, and, probably my favourite Nickelback song, How You Remind Me. Nickelback kept things Kiwi with Photograph, where they integrated pictures of the band and pictures of Kiwi icons onto the screen behind the band. The stage was T shape, which the band utilised by sitting at the top of the T to sing If Today Was Your Last Day and Rockstar, another one of my favourites. They played most of the songs from Dark Horse, a few covers which went over my youthful head and rounded off the encore with Someday and Animals. There were two letdowns of the night: firstly, I wish they hadn’t played Animals last – I feel one of their older songs or something from Dark Horse would have fit better. Secondly, because they played older songs, I would have loved to see Feeling Way Too Damn Good, and if I was really lucky, Hero, though I suppose there’s only so much you can fit into one show.

Overall, it was an awesome night, and as my first rock concert, it was quite an eye opener. The crowd were great, Chad was entertaining when he wasn’t singing, and I loved the whole atmosphere they gave. Of course, I would come to see better rockers in the future, but for me, Nickelback ticked all the boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment